Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Success


Success is an interesting word. As defined by dictionary.com,

1. the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors.
2. the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
3. a successful performance or achievement: The play was an instant success.
4. a person or thing that is successful: She was a great success on the talk show.
5. Obsolete. outcome.

As defined by certain members of my family... going to school, obtaining a high paying career, having a family and a home.

As defined by me... being happy with whatever you are doing. If you are truely happy, you are successful. I don't care if you work at a gas station. If you work hard at something, and enjoy it, that creates the value in it. If you are a single career woman and loving it, kudos to you. If you are a stay at home mom, raising beautiful children and making nice dinners, great. If you are all of the above and more, a super person that has gone to school, work, have a family and are working at saving the world, thumbs up! I don't feel that one of you is greater than the other, you are all successful.
I've never felt like I was meant to be famous, or overly successful. When I realized this last night I had an "aha moment." Just because I don't feel this way, doesn't mean I can't be this way! No no... I'm not going to audition for So You Think You Can Dance or Canadian Idol. I know I can't sing... or dance, and I sure as hell don't want to be famous. I just want to be happy. And you know what? I am. And that makes me successful.

2 comments:

  1. Well said !!!! I completely agree...to me happiness equals success...keep them coming I love reading your blogs...all very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that true success, and self fulfillment really is whatever you define it to be. So long as you feel you're on track for your life, you're a success.

    Some of the most outwardly successful people in the world are the most empty, and turn to drugs or alcohol to cope. Are they successful, I wouldn't label them as such. If you can't be fulfilled through your life, no matter how 'amazing' it is, that's failure. :)

    I think it's great you're defining it for yourself and being true to your definition! That's the most important.

    :)

    ReplyDelete